Sunday 9 February 2014

Sward of desire

In this mechanized world of obligation and duty lies an insidious condition, mediocrity and the mundane, it is relentless and insipid. We just go through the motions of daily life and let it consume us with its endless capacity for the mundane details with the illusion that we are living a full and rich life, successful in our chosen career. Yes, we have it all don’t we, the car, the house, the career, wealth and reputation. But what if this is all a smoke screen, an illusion, what then, I ask myself: What if I am just a fool on a journey? Oblivious to the real potential in this life to actually make a difference to my journey and with luck leave a smile on a few faces.

We are put on this earth to experience life, to love life, to sound our own note, not opera in the shower but the free expression of our soul, our desire, to fulfil the reason we came here for, our purpose in life. This is the sward of desire or destiny, the sharp instrument that cuts through the mundane and mediocre. Yet so often we are consumed by the mundane machine that we live in and allow the sward to get dull.
This is a difficult topic to nail down, because it is so insidious. Thirteen years ago I finally found a job that allowed me to follow my passion, the very thing that made my heart sing, each to his own, mine was computer programming, and I loved it. I could spring from bed in the morning and could not wait to get to work, put in more hours that was required and leave inspired, fulfilled, they even paid me for it. There was space to be creative and my heart was engaged with it. However over the past couple of years, bureaucracy has taken over and all that remains is a stifling environment that extinguishes creativity. My heart is no longer in it.  Why, don’t I just leave, you ask. Well that is the subject of this blog, for the same reason that lots of my decisions are based on, fear. Fear of loss, exposure, embarrassment, failure, future consequences, death, and poverty to name a few. Obligations, this one is covert indeed, family, mortgage/rent, insurance and maintaining all the things I own that define who I am.  So with all the risk taken out of life, there is no room left for anything but the mundane and mediocre. Why not clime that mountain, or parachute from a plain for the same reason we buy insurance.
Liberty is mine, shall I say before I pass over to Elysium, that my soul and my right to express its desire is my god given right, my obligation. However, the question remains: how does one keep the sward of desire (soul expression) sharp when it is constantly being dulled by mundane details of mediocrity. Does one keep the sward just for private use? Do we stand and wield it with the passion that it deserves whenever it is confronted by the dullness of the mundane. We must still eat, sleep, work and play.
Desire must override fear. Duty and obligation to others, our duty is to allow the soul’s desire to be expressed and to be heard, to sound ones note, to write, to sing, to build, or to paint. Whatever sings to the heart. Living is an expression of love, it is that simple. We are put here to live, to love, and to sound our note. Mediocrity may be of our own making, consider that. In this western mechanized life style we have created, the average person is bound to the machine of living. Few find their own song. History is littered with expressions, in all fields of endeavour we find great persons that sounded their note, in Arts, Construction, Destruction, Invention, and Discovery. Our song may not make the history books but what is important is that it is sung, the note sounded, it is what makes our own heart lift and we know it is right to do so. Consider the quality of your own life, if the person you most admire, living or not, had surrendered to mediocrity and just went to work and paid the bills.
So, my friends, may our sward be sharp and our song heard. Let not the mundane stay us, let not mediocrity lessen our blow. Live, love life and be true to our heart’s desire. It just may be what our soul wishes to express. We are all enriched by the songs of others. Add our note to the chorus of life.
Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment